Questions? Call or Text (800) 728-0209
EMT Program Application Packet
Download the EMT Program Packet below:.
Use this packet to help get you ready for the EMT class. Also be sure to register for the course. If you have questions, you may call or text us at (800) 728-0209 or meet us in Live Support Chat. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary of Entrance Requirements
This information is also included in the EMT Program Packet. In order to enter the EMT Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Register for the course;
- Pay the registration fee and select a payment plan;
- Hold a High School Diploma, Home School Diploma, or General Education Degree. Students will need to send a copy of their High School Diploma or GED or send official transcripts showing that he/she graduated;
- Pass the EMSU Reading Assessment Test or achieve the appropriate score on a comparable reading assessment examination to verify reading comprehension at the ninth grade level (see Table below):
|EMSU Reading Assessment *
|EMSU Reading Assessment *
|May Retake Assessment
- Participants who are less than 18 years of age at the time of registration, must provide parental approval of all written and electronic forms. Note: The state may require graduates to become 18 years of age before being certified as an EMT.
- Proficiency in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (Not Expiring within the next 6 months, taken with a LIVE instructor), demonstrated by one of the following:
- Negative Drug Screening Test – not required prior to entry, but required prior to externship participation. (must be 5 panel or greater and completed within the last 3 months). Students can arrange for a drug screening at On Demand Lab Corp;
- Negative TB Test which may include either a PPD or chest X-ray with negative indication. Students can arrange for a TB Test at On Demand Lab Corp;
- MMR vaccination or immunity. not required prior to entry, but required prior to externship participation. Students can arrange for an MMR vaccination at On Demand Lab Corp.
- Varicella vaccination or immunity. not required prior to entry, but required prior to externship participation. Students can arrange for an Varicella vaccination at On Demand Lab Corp;
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis vaccination within the last 10 years or immunity. not required prior to entry, but required prior to externship participation. Students can arrange for a TDAP vaccination at On Demand Lab Corp;
- Hepatitis B vaccination, immunity, or signed Hepatitis B Declination Form. not required prior to entry, but required prior to externship participation. Students can arrange for a Hepatitis B vaccination at On Demand Lab Corp;
- Flu vaccination for the current season or waiver. Note, the waiver may not be available in all externship locations or may require the student to meet other restrictions/requirements, such as wearing a mask during time spend in the hospital, etc… not required prior to entry, but required prior to externship participation. Students can arrange for an Flu vaccination at On Demand Lab Corp;
- Live Scan Fingerprinting. You will be required to get a background check for your clinical field training and to work as a Certified EMT.
Once you have applied for your LiveScan, you will need (3) three copies.
One for processing, one for EMSU, and one for your records. The actual clearance card can take about 4-6 weeks to arrive in the mail, so it is best to do it as soon as possible. You will have to provide a receipt
(copy) to EMSU that we can then upload to your file. Please get this done as soon as possible. Live scan form will be distributed on the first day of class during orientation.
- Note: If the student is unable to complete externships as scheduled due to not obtaining labs or a drug test, they may be dismissed from the program administratively.
*Please note that these requirements are typical to entry for any EMT program in the state of California